FAQ – Covid-19 In-Person Worship Protocol
WHEN WILL COVENANT OPEN FOR IN-PERSON WORSHIP IN THE SANCTUARY?
Covenant will resume in-person worship in the sanctuary Sunday, February 28.
To determine when it is appropriate for us to be open, we are watching one comprehensive metric focused on Bexar County. It shows the “Risk Level” for the City of San Antonio and can be found here: https://covid19.sanantonio.gov/About-COVID-19/Dashboards-Data.
- “Low” or “Moderate”—We will have in-person worship available.
- “Steady”—We will evaluate and determine if it seems wiser to continue or discontinue in-person worship in the sanctuary.
- “Severe” or “Critical”—We will not have in-person worship available.
DO I NEED TO WEAR A MASK?
- In consideration of others and in keeping with community mandates on masks, we are requiring you to wear a mask while on our campus.
- Worship leaders will be masked except when speaking.
DO I NEED TO PRE-REGISTER TO ATTEND WORSHIP SERVICE?
- No, however you will be required to check in upon arrival and complete the COVID-19 screening.
HOW WILL WE MAINTAIN SOCIAL DISTANCING DURING SERVICE?
- Parking: Parking will be limited to the south parking lot (next to 410) and entrance into the sanctuary will be limited to the entry at the covered drop-off. We will dismiss through a different path (south egress door) by rows so paths will not cross and exits will not be crowded.
- Entrance:Entry will be marked with tape at 6-foot intervals to insure proper social distancing.
- Seating: Ushers will seat you as you arrive on alternating rows (filling in from the front to the back), and we will make sure seats are filled so that you do not have to step over or by someone already seated. Families with children will be seated on aisles. We will seat people at least six feet apart unless they came together in the same car or are from the same household.
- Greetings: As much as we would like to give hugs and shake hands, due to our greater desire to maintain the health and safety of our Covenant family, we will not have these times of greeting until further notice.
- Departure: After the service, ushers will direct worshipers to exit through the south (410 side) exit near the chancel area and pulpit.
HOW WILL I BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN WORSHIP?
- Participation in the service will be different as long as we are dealing with the pandemic. Below are some of the changes.
- Singing:Since singing creates greater risk for all, we will not have congregational singing during the services. We will “sing in our hearts.”
- Liturgy: Spoken responses will be used.
- Communion: We will continue observing communion on the first Sunday of each month and will have individually, pre-packaged elements for those participating in-person.
- Offering: We will place a plate on the communion table for people to give offerings as they depart. We will also continue to receive checks through the mail and gifts via Zelle.
- Children: We will provide Ziploc bags with coloring pages and crayons for children and will continue to have our “Young Disciples’ Time”. Children will be asked to remain in the pew with their parents.
- Fellowship: We will not serve coffee or refreshments until further notice.
HOW DO I KNOW IF I SHOULD WORSHIP FROM HOME?
- Safety First: While we greatly desire to worship together with each of you, the safety of our entire Covenant family is of paramount importance. We also wish to respect the desires of each individual and family in choosing whether to join us in person or remain worshiping online.
- Feeling Sick or Recently Exposed? If you or someone in your family has had a fever, cough, feel ill, have traveled, or been asked to quarantine by a medical or government official in the last 14 days, we appreciate your willingness to stay home and help protect others.
- Higher-Risk Categories: If you are in a higher-risk category due to advanced age and/or pre-existing condition(s), we urge you to continue to worship with us online.
- Online Worship Continuing: We will continue to offer a livestream of both services through Facebook and later post the reading of the scriptures and the sermon to YouTube and our website.
WHAT CLEANING MEASURES ARE BEING TAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF EVERYONE?
- In addition to regular cleaning procedures, we will sanitize the seats and wipe down surfaces and doors after each Sunday service.
- We will sanitize the restrooms throughout the morning.
- Hand sanitizers can be found at strategic locations throughout our campus and can be used by anyone at any time.
- Please remember to frequently wash your hands, and if you or anyone in your family is not feeling well, please stay home.